An elite women’s boarding school for nearly 50 years, National Park Seminary started with the lease of Ye Forest Inne In 1894 by John and Vesta Cassedy. As enrollment grew, so did the structures. Sororities were built in single-family type homes designed to bring the various architectural styles to the Silver Spring campus: Spanish Mission, Neo Classical, Arts and Crafts, Colonial Revival, an English castle, and a Japanese pagoda are among the 12 constructed. An additional 15 buildings linked by covered walkways, wood shingle and stucco structures, make this a one-of-a-kind campus.
The redevelopment plan calls for the preservation and renovation of the 12 historic single-family homes. The project also includes renovating 66 apartments located in the main building, converting the existing President’s House, Senior House, Ballroom and Multipurpose rooms into 122 condominium homes, and constructing 90 new townhomes. Renovation of the English castle will occur in a potential future phase.